Exemptions and temporary licences

To do real estate agency work in New Zealand you must be licensed under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008 – unless you are exempt. Some people can apply for a temporary licence.

​Real estate agency work is defined in section 4 of the Act. 

People who are exempt from needing a licence

People who are exempt from the requirement to be licensed are:
  • Lawyers and conveyancing practitioners, within the meaning of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act
  • Licensed auctioneers may sell or offer to sell any land by auction without holding a licence​.

Call us if you are not sure

If you are not sure if you need a licence, e.g. if you are an agricultural consultant, a trustee or investment manager or a property advisor, please give us a call.

Temporary licences

In certain circumstances some people can apply for permission to carry out, or appoint someone else to carry out, an agent’s business. This will be strictly for a period specified by our Registrar.
Examples include:
  • The manager of the estate of a licensee who is subject to a property order under the Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act 1988
  • The personal representative of an agent who has died
  • The assignee in bankruptcy of a licensee who has been declared bankrupt
  • The liquidator or receiver of a licensee company that is in liquidation or receivership
  • The nominated representative of a licensee who is sick, absent or otherwise temporarily prevented from carrying on business
  • The liquidator, any person conducting the dissolution or a trustee appointed under an instrument of instruction of a building society, where a licensee building society is being dissolved.

If you wish to apply for a temporary licence please email (licensing@reaa.govt.nz) or call us (0800 367 7322), option 1.​