Before you apply for your licence you must have achieved the appropriate qualifications.
Three standard qualifications
These qualifications have been developed by the real estate industry training organisation (The Skills Organisation) and are NZQA accredited.
To apply to be licensed as a:
- Salesperson: you will need to have achieved the National Certificate in Real Estate Level 4
- Branch manager: you will need to have achieved the National Certificate in Real Estate Level 5, version 3 or later
- Individual agent: you will need to have achieved the National Diploma in Real Estate Level 5 (Agent) awarded after 1 July 2010
The Real Estate Agents Licensing Regulations 2009 allows people holding a property degree to apply for a licence.
Before applying for a licence, you will need to provide evidence of having completed an ITO assessment with the Skills Organisation, unless you already hold a licence, and are applying for one of a higher class. If you already hold a licence you will not be required to complete the ITO assessment. The recognised degrees are:
- Bachelor of Commerce (Valuation and Property Management) conferred by Lincoln University after 1992
- Bachelor of Property conferred by Auckland University after 1992
- Bachelor of Property Administration conferred by Auckland University after 1987
- Bachelor of Business Studies (Valuation and Property Management) that meets the requirements of the Property Institute of New Zealand conferred by Massey University after 2005
- Bachelor of Business Studies (Real Estate) conferred by Massey University after 1992
- Bachelor of Business Studies (Valuation and Property Management) conferred by Massey University between 1992 and 2005
- Membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors as a member or fellow with chartered designation in general practice, commercial property, residential property, or valuation.
The following training providers offer training for the prescribed qualifications.
These providers offer a range of classroom-based or correspondence options. Please contact the organisations directly or see their websites for information on their particular study options, qualifications and course fees.
- Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology (previously Bay of Plenty Polytechnic)
- The Skills Organisation
- Open Polytechnic
- TAFE College NZ ltd
The Skills Organisation can answer any questions about qualifications and training and recognition of prior learning. Call them on (09) 583 1717 or 0508 754 557.