- when REAA will collect information from you;
- what will be collected;
- how personal information is used by REAA; and
- how REAA stores and keeps secure personal information.
Any information that we collect from you will be kept safe and secure, and we will make sure we use the information lawfully, in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Information we collect
If you are a licensee or are applying to become a licensee, we will collect information from you that we need to carry out our functions under the Act in relation to your licence (for example, information required by the Registrar to make decisions about you).
If you complain about a licensee or object to the Registrar issuing someone a licence, we may collect personal information from you that we need to process the complaint or objection under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008.
REAA collects information from publicly available sources, in order to investigate complaints about the conduct of licensees.
We collect information (for example, documents) in order to investigate disciplinary matters and offences under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008. If we ask you for information in order to investigate an offence, we will tell you if you are legally required to give that information to us.
How does REAA use and disclose your personal information?
REAA will only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected.
If you are a licensee:
- Some of your information will be publically available, for example your business contact details, information about your licence and your disciplinary history will appear on the register of licensees on our website. We will also give your business contact details to anyone who requests that information from us.
- Personal information about you supplied to us by a complainant may be provided to a Complaints Assessment Committee or the Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal (Tribunal). Disciplinary decisions are usually published. In some circumstances the Tribunal may make orders prohibiting the publication of any details of proceedings before it if the Tribunal thinks that is proper. We will keep you informed if this is going to happen.
- Information you provide to us in relation to your licence or your application to be a licensee is used by the Authority to carry out its statutory functions.
If you make a complaint or objection to us:
- If you make a complaint to us, the information you give us will be used to respond to the complaint. This may involve providing a copy of it to the person you have complained about or providing it to a Complaints Assessment Committee or the Tribunal. If a Complaints Assessment Committee or the Tribunal make a decision in relation to your complaint, some aspects of it may be published.
- If you make an objection to us about a person’s application for a licence, a copy of your objection will be provided to that person.
How do we contact you?
We will contact you using the contact details you have provided us. Please make sure you keep us up to date if your contact details change.
How REAA protects your information
We store your information on a secure electronic network and do not disclose it to third parties except as noted above or as required by law.
How you can access and request correction of your information
You can ask us for access to your personal information at any time by contacting us.
You can request that we correct your personal information. If we agree that the information should be corrected, we will correct it. If we do not agree that it should be corrected, we will insert a note on your file noting your request.